Millennial Grocery Guide
How this guide works: Ingredients are broken down into approximate location in the grocery store, by order that you'd usually purchase them (produce first, meat second, over to the canned vegetables aisle last). There is also a cost of ingredients scale ranging from $ (very cheap) to $$$$ (extremely expensive - I'm not sure any of my recipes even have an ingredient like this yet).
About Millennial Pantry Staples: These are items you should always keep stocked in your fridge or pantry. It will make throwing together a quick dinner easy and simplify grocery shopping. It allows you to purchase food on sale, and all these items are extremely unlikely to go bad before you use them!
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Cilantro $$ [Optional] For topping. Use up the rest in fish tacos or shakshuka.
- 1 lb. ground turkey $$ You can buy ground turkey pre-packaged in the meat section of the fridges that usually line the back walls of grocery stores. I usually buy mine in one pound packages.
$ Canned goods are some of the cheapest groceries you can buy. All of these should be about a dollar or less per can - I can find beans for $0.88 on sale, and corn for $0.69. When I find these items on sale, I buy a few, they're a Millennial Pantry Staple after all!
- 1 can diced tomatoes - [Optional] Millennial Pantry Staple - canned diced tomatoes work, I've also used canned tomato sauce before and that is also tasty.
- 1 can corn - [Optional] Millennial Pantry Staple - I buy the kind that says golden whole kernel on the can. You could also use a similar quantity fresh or frozen corn.
- 1 can black beans - [Optional] Millennial Pantry Staple I buy a standard can 15.5 oz.
- 1 can kidney beans - [Optional] Millennial Pantry Staple I buy a standard can 15.5 oz.
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth $ Millennial Pantry Staple I buy this in boxes since I'm always using it up in another recipe. You can also get smaller portions in cans.
- 1 packet of fajita/taco seasoning $ Millennial Pantry Staple Any version of Mexican pre-packaged spices works: taco, fajita, mild, medium. I usually buy the store brand for $0.69. This is great to have on hand for other dishes or a quick taco night, too.
- Cumin Millennial Pantry Staple
- Chili powder Millennial Pantry Staple
- Paprika Millennial Pantry Staple
- Cinnamon Millennial Pantry Staple Secret ingredient here - gives the chili a hint of sweet!
- 1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix $ I love crumbling corn bread in my chili, so I recommend you pick up a box of Jiffy mix. You'll also need about 1/3 cup of milk and 1 egg to make the muffins!
- Sour Cream $ [Optional] For topping
- Shredded Mexican Cheese $ [Optional] Millennial Fridge Staple Any kind of shredded cheese you have/like would work. For topping.