Millennial Grocery Guide
How this guide works: Ingredients are broken down into approximate location in the grocery store, by order that you'd usually purchase them (starting in produce & deli, then over to dry goods, and ending in dairy). There is also a cost of ingredients scale ranging from $ (very cheap) to $$$$ (extremely expensive - I'm not sure any of my recipes even have an ingredient like this yet).
About Millennial Staples: These are items you should always keep stocked in your fridge, freezer, or pantry. It will make throwing together a quick dinner easy and simplify grocery shopping. It allows you to purchase food on sale, and all these items are extremely unlikely to go bad before you use them!
- Chopped cilantro or parsley, for garnish $$ You don't need the fresh herbs, but they do offer a nice, fragrant complement to the dish. Optional
- 1/4 cup feta cheese $$ I usually buy the pre-crumbled feta cheese that comes in a plastic container found ni the cheese display by the deli section. Any extra is great for use in salads.
- 1/2 cup cooked grain of choice - I use farro $ Substitute: Quinoa, white beans, wild rice, bulgur, or any other grain of your choice. This addition is optional it just adds extra energy-giving carbs to keep you full!
- 1 cup tomato sauce $ You can use either the plain canned tomato sauce or a jarred, more flavorful sauce - whatever you have on hand. Millennial Pantry Staple
- 1/2 cup Trader Joe's Eggplant Garlic Spread with Sweet Red Peppers $ This spread hits the garlic and sweet red pepper requirement, plus adds some depth of flavor with the eggplant base. Great on sandwiches, in pasta, or on chicken.
- 1 teaspoon cumin $ Millennial Pantry Staple Optional Both cumin and paprika add depth of flavor to the sauce - especially useful if you're using the plain canned tomato sauce. But not necessary!
- 1 teaspoon paprika $ Millennial Pantry Staple Optional Both cumin and paprika add depth of flavor to the sauce - especially useful if you're using the plain canned tomato sauce. But not necessary!
- 2 eggs $ Millennial Fridge Staple Note: this recipe makes 2 servings. I eat 2 eggs per serving, but I cook my servings of eggs one at a time. If you're making 2 servings, you will eventually need 4 eggs in total.