Millennial Grocery Guide
Homemade Baileys Irish Cream Recipe
How this guide works: Ingredients are broken down into approximate location in the grocery store, by order that you'd usually purchase them. There is also a cost of ingredients scale ranging from $ (very cheap) to $$$$ (extremely expensive - I'm not sure any of my recipes even have an ingredient like this yet).
About Millennial Staples: These are items you should always keep stocked in your fridge, freezer, or pantry. It will make throwing together a quick dinner easy and simplify grocery shopping. It allows you to purchase food on sale, and all these items are extremely unlikely to go bad before you use them!
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk $$ This is the sweetener in the drink and it's so indulgent - it definitely is worth the sugar overload! Substitute: I found a few non-dairy sweetened condensed milk brands on the internet - check those out if you're going for a non-dairy version.
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract $$ Found in the baking aisle.
- 2 tablesoons instant coffee $$ Decaf of caffeinated works.
- 2 tablespoons hot chocolate mix $$
- 6 shots whiskey (more or less) $$ Confession: I use cheap whiskey for this. There's just so much else going on - the indulgent cream, the super sweet condensed milk, all the flavors. It seems silly to spend a lot on good whiskey for this - not that you can't, however!
- 2 cups half & half $$ My mom has also used non-dairy creamer. Light cream would also be fine as well, and even whole milk, it just might be a slightly different consistency.