The Superbowl is coming up (Here in Boston we're pretty excited about the Patriots!) and it's time to share one of my most popular recipes among friends: my Warm Cheddar Ale Dip recipe. Most of my friends who read this might not even recognize it by this name because to us, it's simply known as "beer cheese." Beer cheese is legendary and has gotten us through many fun nights.
My beer cheese recipe has seen it all - spending the night in a cabin with two dozen friends became a tradition senior year of college, and I've hiked in beer cheese up a mountain or through a trail in the pitch black an absurd number of times. The first time, I made it beforehand and carried it still warm...uphill...in the dark. The next time I learned to make it when we got there but either way, the pot was always empty when we left. I'm excited to share it with you today because it is one of my more sentimental recipes, associated with s'mores and campfires and the great outdoors and also semi-formals when we'd have friends over beforehand (because why not eat gooey cheesy beer dip in a nice dress?). And, it's here just in time for an epic Superbowl party - because beer and football simply go together.
The secret is using high quality ingredients since there are so few in the recipe in the first place - sharp Cabot Cheddar cheese, a solid ale (I went to college right along the border of VT and NH so I'm a fan of Switchback or a seasonal Harpoon option. Whatever you choose to dip in it (some have been known to eat it with a spoon), be sure it's high quality. I recommend a crusty baguette or loaf of fresh sourdough bread. Say hello to your biggest crowd pleaser.
Warm Cheddar Ale Dip
Depending on who you are (and who you're friends with), this can serve 8-10 people.
It makes about 3 cups of beer cheese.
Other Recipes With These Ingredients: Beer: You know what to do here // Cabot cheese: Grilled cheese.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2-3 cups shredded Cabot cheddar cheese (depending on how thick you want your dip to be)
- 1 - 12 oz. bottle of beer (an ale works best, or a lager)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard (optional)
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 loaves of good bread (like sourdough) or 2 baguettes
Not Gluten Free, Vegan, or Dairy Free Friendly
BEFORE YOU START: SHRED YOUR CHEESE & SLICE THE BREAD
1. Shred 2-3 cups of Cabot cheddar cheese
2. Slice your bread/baguettes into slices or chunks for dipping.
MAKE THE DIP
3. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan.
4. Whisk in the 3 tablespoons flour and 1 teaspoon ground mustard (if you're adding it).
5. Season with ground black pepper, if you'd like.
6. Once the flour & butter mixture starts to bubble, pour in 1 12-oz. bottle of beer and whisk for 1 minute.
7. Slowly add the 2-3 cups Cabot Cheddar cheese, whisking as you go. Add as much as you want until the dip is the consistency you want.
8. Let the dip heat through, whisking frequently, 3-5 minutes.
SERVE & ENJOY
8. Serve warm with fresh sliced bread.
EXTRA INGREDIENTS - Drink the beer. Make grilled cheese with the Cabot cheddar. The end.