It's getting chillier and chillier here in Boston, and that means it's the perfect time for my Tortellini Soup with Spinach & Mushrooms recipe. The secret ingredient in this recipe is cream cheese. Call me crazy, but it adds a tangy depth of flavor and creaminess in a short amount of time - you'll love it.
You need only 6 simple ingredients for this recipe: tortellini, tomato sauce, chicken broth, cream cheese, spinach, and mushrooms. This recipe is perfect for making a big batch at the beginning of the week and enjoying throughout. You can even think about mixing it up with different kinds of tortellini - a porcini mushroom tortellini would complement the mushrooms in the broth, or even a pesto tortellini for an added punch of flavor!
Tortellini Soup with Spinach & Mushrooms Recipe
Makes 1 serving
Other Recipes With These Ingredients: Tortellini: Butternut Squash & Sage Tortellini
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 package tortellini
- 1 large can (28-32oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 8-oz. package of cream cheese
- 1 bag spinach
- 1 package white mushrooms, sliced
Dairy Free: You could make this without dairy but it just won't be as creamy - or check out some lactose free cream cheese options. Choose a different pasta that's not tortellini to cut out the cheese
Gluten Free: Try a gluten-free tortellini or any other gluten-free pasta
Vegan-Friendly: Follow the dairy free options and use vegetable broth!
1. Boil water for tortellini and cook your one package of tortellini.
2. Meanwhile, heat up 1 large can of tomato sauce and 1 cup of chicken or vegetable broth in a pot. Add 1 - 8oz. package of cream cheese, stirring constantly until it melts in. You can add more chicken or vegetable broth if you'd like a thinner broth.
3. Once the cream cheese has melted, let the broth cool a bit and blend the broth in a blender to smooth it out.
4. Now you need to add your one package of sliced white mushrooms. There are two ways to do this: 1) Just add them right in!
4. Right at the end, stir in the bag of spinach and let it wilt. Then, spoon into bowls and enjoy!
Lunch Tomorrow, Storing, & Extra Ingredients
LUNCH TOMORROW - This soup almost tastes better the next day, once everything has soaked in!
STORING - Store for 3-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
EXTRA INGREDIENTS - Try out my recipe for Butternut Squash & Sage Tortellini with any extra tortellini you have on hand. Make a healthy salad for lunch with extra spinach. Extra tomato sauce can be frozen for almost any recipe in the future - just freeze it in a freezer safe ziplock bag! If you have extra cream cheese, this pepper relish dip is a childhood favorite of mine!