Summer is the perfect time for a Caprese salad - fresh garden tomatoes, tangy mozzarella, sweet basil. It's even better in pizza form in this Pesto Caprese Pizza recipe, perfected by a pesto base and balsamic glaze drizzled over the top. Done in 15 minutes and you've got dinner on the table.
You already know how much I love Stonefire Authentic Flatbreads from my Easy BBQ Chicken Pizza recipe. Their Naan bread is the foundation for that pizza and there are so many different variations of pizzas to try on the bread - including this Pesto Caprese variation! Stonefire makes Naan, which I use for my pizza base, as well as larger rectangular Flatbreads and Pizza Crusts. I prefer Stonefire over other brands of pre-made crusts and doughs because it's a quick option that still tastes fresh. To finish off the pizza, make sure to drizzle balsamic glaze over the top - it's a sweeter, thicker version of balsamic and it's just so good. Normally this is a splurge ingredient, but Trader Joe's has a delicious Balsamic Glaze for only $2.99 a bottle, compared to the $7-13 you'd pay at the grocery store. The whole dinner is summer in pizza form!
Pesto Pizza Recipe
makes 1 serving
Other recipes with these ingredients: Stonefire flatbreads: Easy BBQ Chicken Pizza // Rotisserie chicken: Easy BBQ Chicken Pizza, Chickpea Chicken Curry, Middle Eastern Grain Bowls // Balsamic glaze: Balsamic glazed baked salmon, roasted brussel sprouts, Caprese salad
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 pre-made pizza/flatbread crust - I recommend any Stonefire Authentic Flatbreads product (read why on the Grocery Guide page)- I always use their Naan for the perfect cooking-for-one size. Note, if you use any of their bigger flatbreads or pizza crust, double the rest of the ingredients to make sure you have enough to cover the pizza. If you want leftovers for lunch, use a Stonefire Flatbread, which is about the perfect size to cut in half and have half for dinner and bring half for lunch the next day!
- 2-4 tablespoons pesto
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- Handful of shredded chicken (I recommend rotisserie chicken, which is basically 0 prep time since it's pre-made and you just need to shred some. If you'd like to bake your chicken, use 1 chicken breast. Add 15 minutes to prep time.)
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Balsamic glaze for garnish, Optional
Dairy Free: Skip the cheese, or use a dairy-free cheese!
Gluten Free: Grab a gluten-free pre-made pizza crust, like this crust from Udi's.
Vegetarian-Friendly Substitute tofu or just leave the chicken off.
Vegan-Friendly Combine dairy free & vegetarian recommendations. Note, this is not the best recipe to adapt for vegans.
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Spread 2-4 tablespoons of pesto (to taste) evenly onto your Stonefire-brand crust.
3. Add mozzarella cheese onto the pizza.
4. Add a handful of shredded chicken, distributing evenly.
5. Slice 8-10 cherry tomatoes and sprinkle onto the pizza.
6. Warm the pizza in the oven until cheese is melted and pizza is hot, about 10 minutes.
7. Drizzle with balsamic glaze to finish.
Lunch tomorrow, Storing, & Extra Ingredients
LUNCH TOMORROW - The awesome thing about both the Stonefire Naan and Stonefire Flatbreads come in 2-packs, which means you can double the recipe and bring one for lunch the next day, too. I usually eat them cold for lunch, but you can also pop them in the microwave at work/school. If you don't want leftovers, buy the Stonefire Pizza Crust, which comes in a single pack.
STORING - If you do have extras, enjoy within 3-4 days due to the cooked chicken. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. You can also store ingredients separately and assemble the day you're going to eat it. You can warm up in the microwave, but to keep them from getting soggy, try reheating in the oven for 5 minutes at 425°F.
EXTRA INGREDIENTS - If you use a rotisserie chicken, you'll have almost an entire chicken left to do whatever you want with - and the options are endless. You can even make another pizza - my Easy BBQ Chicken Pizza. Also check out 7 Reasons Why You Should Always Have a Rotisserie Chicken in Your Fridge for more inspiration. Toss pesto, tomatoes, and mozzarella with your favorite pasta and serve warm for dinner or bring as a cold pasta salad for lunch. The balsamic glaze is great on a Caprese salad, drizzled over roasted brussel sprouts, or on baked salmon.