One of the hardest parts about making a home cooked meal is figuring out what to make and going grocery shopping to get everything you need to make it. All of my recipes are pretty easy to pull off - but it's a much more daunting class to make five of them in a week. That's why I created the first Millennial Menu Meal Plan.
This Millennial Menu features 5 recipes make sense together. It's how I would go about planning what I'm eating in a week using Paprika (a meal planning app that is my #1 cooking hack) The recipes have overlapping ingredients so you're buying only what you need at the grocery store and can use it all up to avoid wasting food (and money) with rotten leftovers. Plus, it doesn't really matter what night you cook each meal. If you're buying fresh fish, you'll want to enjoy those meals earlier in the week because fresh fish should only sit in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. Other than that, this is a super flexible blueprint for your dinners this week! Even though you're using ingredients that overlap, this menu is still really varied - you go from salmon to pizza to fish tacos to curry to peppers stuffed with ground turkey. It definitely does not taste like you're eating the same thing over and over, that's for sure. Read on below to find out how/why this meal plan is so attainable. I've even included a Master Grocery List to make the whole thing that much easier.
To access the detailed recipes (including more specific grocery guides for each recipe),
scroll to "Explore the Recipes" and click the photo of the recipe you're looking for!
Menu 1: Coconut Lemongrass Salmon
Start with a fresh, flavorful salmon dish. You'll need coconut milk for this recipe, but you can use the rest in my 15 minute Chickpea Chicken Curry Recipe. Whatever green you choose for the salmon will also be used again in the curry.
Menu 2: Naan Pizza
Next, indulge in (healthier) pizza! This recipe is flexible - you choose your toppings, BBQ Chicken or Pesto Caprese. Either way, you're using up the 1 rotisserie chicken you're buying in the deli section for about $5. What a deal! If you really want to overlap on your ingredients, choose the BBQ Chicken pizza. I use shredded Mexican blend cheese when I make my BBQ Chicken pizzas, and you can use the same cheese in both the Five Minute Fish Tacos and the Freezer Friendly Mexican Stuffed Peppers. Same goes for the red onion on the BBQ pizza - you'll use it in the coconut lemongrass bowl.
Menu 3: Five Minute Fish Taco Bowls
Spice things up with one of my favorite ingredients, Trader Joe's Corn and Chile Tomato-less Salsa! Plus, black beans, corn, quinoa, Mexican style shredded cheese and cilantro are also featured in Freezer Friendly Mexican Stuffed Peppers. You could turn this into a chicken taco bowl, too, if you wanted to use rotisserie chicken that you're buying for the curry and the pizzas.
Menu 4: Chickpea Chicken Curry
Cozy up with a big bowl of curry that takes mere minutes to pull together. You're using coconut milk and the rotisserie chicken in this recipe, so these ingredients are doing double duty in the Coconut Lemongrass Salmon and Naan Pizzas. Whatever green you chose to have with your salmon will also be used in this recipe.
Menu 5: Freezer Friendly Mexican Stuffed Peppers
You're already buying black beans, corn, Mexican style shredded cheese, quinoa, and cilantro for the Five Minute Fish Taco Bowls!
Explore the recipes...
click each photo for recipe link,
including a grocery guide!
Master Grocery List
*for one serving of each meal,
except for the peppers, which makes ~4. They're freezer friendly!
- 1 small red onion
- 1 bag greens (such as spinach, kale, bok choy, or swiss chard)
- 1 handful white or portobello mushrooms
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- Lemongrass paste (This paste is one of my secrets to cooking with herbs and spices)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 package Stonefire Naan Bread
- 1 rotisserie chicken (Find out my 7 Reasons You Should Always Have A Rotisserie Chicken in Your Fridge)
Meat & Seafood
- 1 6-oz. portion of salmon
- 1 piece tilapia
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 standard 15.5 oz. can coconut milk
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- Rice (optional, serving suggestion with the salmon)
- 1 standard 15.5 oz. can corn
- Trader Joe's Corn and Chile Tomato-Less Salsa (substitute: additional can of corn)
- 1 standard 15.5 oz. can black beans
- 1 standard 15.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 standard 15.5 oz. can chickpeas
- 1 packet fajita/taco seasoning
- Curry powder
- Smallest container sour cream
- 1 bag Mexican-style shredded cheese
Wait! For the Naan pizzas...
- If you chose BBQ Chicken Pizza: add chives (optional) and BBQ Sauce to your list.
- If you chose Pesto Caprese Pizza: add mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, pesto, and balsamic drizzle to your list.