I am a HUGE fan of take out. Not just because I think the food is good (I do), but because I just love the convenience of it. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook - clearly. But there's something about food showing up at your door that can't be beat. Until now.
This Beef & Broccoli recipe is better-than-takeout good - the marinated flank steak is extra flavorful, the sesame seeds add the perfect crunch, it's got a little bit of a kick...what more could you want? I love/hate to admit that it also just tastes and feels healthier than takeout, meaning I should probably hold back on ordering takeout. Also - that's a great excuse to use this Beef & Broccoli recipe as a meal prep and have it for lunch all week.
Flank steak, which is what you'll need for this recipe, often comes in larger (read: more than single serving) portions, so it's great that this recipe is ideal for meal prepping and having multiple nights in a row or for lunch for the week. Since it's made in the Instant Pot/crock pot (stove top directions included too), it's also such an easy recipe to come home to. It only takes about 10 minutes to finish up.
My favorite way to cook this recipe is to use the slow cooker function on my Instant Pot, because it allows me to cook the food before I get home from work, but also takes advantage of the Instant Pot technology keeps it warm all day after the few hours of cooking are over. Perfect when you work in a school building for 11 hours a day.
Wondering how you could ever possibly put something in your Instant Pot/slow cooker in the morning AND shower before work AND down some coffee??? First, do it once and you'll realize it's SO worth it. Second, this recipe is GREAT for dump and go - I mix the sauce the night before and keep it in a tupperware, slice my meat ahead of time and store in the fridge in a gallon zip lock bag, and dump it all together in the morning and hit "ON". You can definitely, definitely do that and come home to better-than-takeout Beef & Broccoli ready and waiting (well, for 10 more minutes of simmering, but close enough).
Beef & Broccoli Recipe
Makes 6 servings
Other recipes with these ingredients: Beef Broth: French Onion Soup // Flank Steak: Slow Cooker Beef Ragu
Prep time: 10 minutes before + 10 minutes after
Cook time: Slow cooker: Low, 4 hours // Instant Pot: High, 10 minutes NPR // Stove top: 30 minutes
Total Time: Depending on cooking method, add prep time + cook time
- 1 pound flank steak Substitute: skirt steak
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch + 4 tablespoons cold water
- Pinch of red chili flakes Optional, to taste
- Sesame seeds, for topping
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- Serving suggestion: Serve over white rice
Gluten Free As long as you confirm all of your ingredients are gluten free, this recipe is gluten-free friendly. Double check your soy sauce.
Not Vegetarian or Vegan Friendly
(see non-Instant Pot directions in italics below)
PREP THE BEEF
1. Make the sauce by combining 3/4 cup beef broth, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon sesame oil and whisking to combine. If you like heat, add a pinch of red chili flakes to the sauce now.
2. Slice 1 pound of flank steak thinly, against the grain. Add to your pot (for whatever cooking method you're using).
3. Pour the sauce over the meat and stir to coat. Cook based on your cooking method: Instant Pot: 10 minutes high pressure NPR // Slow cooker: 4 hours on low // Stove top: simmer on medium heat for 20-30 minutes, until meat reaches desired doneness.
PREP THE BROCCOLI & RICE
4. If you'd like to serve this dish over white rice, start cooking that now.
5. Get 1-2 inches of water boiling in your steamer. Once boiling, add the 3 cups broccoli florets and steam for 5-7 minutes.
6. Break down your 3 cups broccoli into florets (which really just means break it into individual broccolis!)
AS THE STEAK IS FINISHING...
7. Whisk 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 4 tablespoons COLD water (cold matters here!)
8. Once the meat is "done" cooking, add this slurry to the steak and sauce pot.
9. Continue to cook 10-15 additional minutes on low (stovetop & slow cooker - for Instant Pot, turn Sauté feature on low), allowing the sauce to thicken.
10. Serve beef over rice with broccoli, topped with sesame seeds for garnish.
Storing & Extra Ingredients
STORING - Store in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container. This has been my recent go-to meal prep recipe, so I've eaten it all week for lunch and found it to taste just as good on day 1 as day 5. The flavors really infuse into the meat so it tastes better than takeout.
LUNCH TOMORROW - As I said, this is the perfect lunch. The bowls look perfect with the beef and broccoli spooned over some nice white rice and sprinkled with sesame seeds. Your coworkers will be jealous.
EXTRA INGREDIENTS - If you end up with extra flank steak (especially if it's on sale and you buy extra!) I recommend Pinch of Yum's Slow Cooker Beef Ragu. I ate this for 5 meals straight one week in January and had 0 complaints. If you end up having extra broth, try using it up in a cozy French Onion Soup recipe. Hang on to that soy sauce, brown sugar, and sesame oil for some other Millennial Menu favorites coming at you in the future.